Thursday, June 21, 2012

Amazon Launches New Talent

Amazon has launched the career of yet another author, one who says, in passing:

And I can assure you that freedom fuels creativity, risk-taking, and passion. We get to bring you our stories in the way we want to tell them, without the dilution and sculpting from publishing houses. 

Just so.  When I had an agent in the 1980's I was told to never write more than 2 chapters and an outline, because the publisher would want to "shape the book."  I took that to mean censor it and change it to support the beast. The old model is built on a free press in which the industry is given in essence tax exempt status if the industry will in turn only proffer books that support the regime.

IN the Soviet Union you could go to prison for writing something critical.  In USA if you write something critical is will not see the light of day.  But but but...  anyone can publish anything!  Yes, but will it get distribution?

A big reason I left iUniverse was they said my book sold exceptionally well, and they would get behind it if I changed it.  Wait, what?  I have that in writing.

Things might be changing.  Self-publishing may actually work, what with the reach of the internet.


No comments:

Post a Comment