Monday, September 13, 2010

Dr.North on Discount Degrees

I love Dr. Gary North, for most of his work, although in some fringe areas he I disagree, with temerity.  He has been very good on educational reform, and has put out this video.  Of course he is absolutely right (although coming from a family of academics to me his "secrets" are not so secret) but in this video I think there is a fundamental error.  he shows how to get an accredited bachelors degree "wholesale" for less than $11 buck a day... but I would ask, who wants and accredited degree, at any price?

He talks of overthrowing the educational establishment, but her is only shows how to get their offerings at a discount.  He has written so much that is truly revolutionary, I wonder at this anticlimactical video.

So he shows how to get an accredited degree cheap, which I would question why one would want one at any price, and he suggests in three of his seven tactics to avoid the classroom: dual credits (high school credits for college, or vice versa), distance learning, and quiz out (what I know as "challenging the course...")  But classroom learning, with the sage on the stage, is a wonderful thing.  To me the revolutionary thing is 4 years of classroom sage on the stage learning, at a free market price.

Incidentally, he is a master marketer, and I intend to copy his format to pitch perishyourpublisher.com and seattle teachers college...

No comments:

Post a Comment